What to do in Myanmar with kids might be a concerned question that the parental travelers care about. If you are about to visit this Buddhist country with a child, then read the following compressive guide to figure out the activities that best fit your family vacation. There are various great things to do in Myanmar with the little companions, and four stands out most.
#1: Yangon – The Best to Do in Myanmar with Kids
When traveling to Yangon with kids, you find the amazing streets to discover and feel the genuine Burmese life. That is the real gate to enter and understand how the local people live and work in their homeland. As Yangon City offers many points of interest, it’s handy if you know the top things to see in Yangon in order to opt for the best only.
- Visit the celebrated Shwedagon Pagoda. Completely covered with gold plates, this religious center is very brilliant, holy, and impressive. At the height of nearly 100 meters, the top of Shwedagon is decorated with the umbrella crown including over 5.000 diamonds, 2.000 rubies, and 76-carat diamond. The pagoda visit teaches your kids about Myanmar’s most beautiful and sacred pagoda. Also, make sure you dress appropriately with the knees covered before you get into the consecrated spot.
- Get around the Colonial District and explore the local street life before you get to the impressive Sule Pagoda. Though Sule is less famous than the world-known Shwedagon Pagoda, it is the significant attraction to cherish.
- Take your kids to the Bogyoke Aung San Market and then Bogyoke Aung San Museum. The little travelers will get valuable opportunities to enjoy shopping and learning the Burmese history so that traveling means not only relaxing but also enriching knowledge.
#2: Bagan – The Amazing Activities in Myanmar with Kids
With around 2.000 temples and pagodas of the 9th-13th centuries, Bagan Myanmar is definitely the mecca of Buddhism in which your kids can fulfill their curiosity and adventurous spirit. Make sure you and your kids will see this major Burmese attraction.
- Visit some of the outstanding temples namely Ananda Temple, Dhammayangyi Temple, Mahabodhi Temple, Shwezigon Temple, etc., to see how grandiose and sacred the religious monuments are.
- Go to Thanaka Museum to get knowledge about the “Thanaka powder” or the white paste that the local women and children apply on their faces. In the museum, there is also the lacquerware worship for your family to witness how the skilled artisans create the artworks.
- Experience the hot-air balloon ride over Bagan, especially at sunrise. Get up early so that you and your child can catch the dramatic sunrise scenery over the spectacular monuments. Note that this fun activity is only applicable to the children aged 8 and above. The Bagan hot-air balloon ride is so famous and fun that all families want to try it out.
- Hire a horse cart to get around the city. The horse cart brings you to the nearby religious attractions as well as the local villages. Together with the little travelers, you discover Bagan via the closer and more local-friendly approach. During the horse cart journey, expect to see how the Burmese men growing the cotton or peanuts on their farms, how to the local women weaving, or how the other kids saying “hello” to you in the Burmese language. Enjoyable, educational, and memorable – your kids will love this experience, for sure.
#3: Inle Lake – The Interesting Experiences to Do in Myanmar with Kids
Inle Lake is the second biggest lake in Myanmar and the top scenic freshwater lake that is ideal for the boat trip. And, there is much more to this spectacular natural attraction than just boating, with plenty of other interesting things to do with kids in Myanmar.
- Opt for the boat trip to discover Myanmar’s symbolic lake, the local life around the riverside, and off-the-beaten-track villages. Lots of the unfold surprises await you so that your experiences in Burma can get enriched while your family gathers fun and joy altogether.
- Take pictures of the peaceful countryside sceneries around the lake. The wooden houses on the stilts and the daily life activities are the musts to photograph. And if possible, enjoy the home-made meals with the Myanmar food right in the local houses. The friendly hosts are likely to create the homelike and welcoming atmosphere so that the overseas visitors stay happy and glad throughout the mealtime.
- Spend time watching the how-to in the local artisan workshops. The top knowledge covers how to make paper, how to carve the wooden boats, how to make the weaving threads from lotus plants, and how to produce the cigars. You might need to record the steps for reminding of the things to enjoy in Inle Lake later.
- Take your time touching and feeling the elephants at Green Hill Valley Elephant Camp. This is the family-run elephant sanctuary that houses the old and disabled elephants rescued from the harsh logging industry. It’s important to note that this place offers NO activity of riding the elephants. Rather, you get a chance to attend the Daily Care Program covering the enjoyable things like cuddling, feeding, and bathing the large animals.
#4: Family-friendly Accommodation – Top Places to Stay in Myanmar with kids
Especially when you go with children, please stay in the registered hotels, guesthouses, motels, resorts, or inns.
- In Yangon, it’s recommended to stay at the gorgeous Belmond Governor’s Residence, Sule Shangri-La, Savoy Hotel Yangon, Thanlwin Guest House, and The Willow Inn.
- In Bagan, your choices should be Aureum Palace Bagan Hotel, The Bagan Lodge, The Hotel at Tharabar Gate, Blue Bird Hotel, and Shwe Yee Pwint.
- In Inle Lake, just lay your heads at Inle Princess Resort, Aureum Palace Inle Lake, Sanctum Inle Resort, Thanaka Inle Hotel, and Novotel Inle Lake Myat Min.
Be ready for your Indochina family trip with lots of amazing things to do in Myanmar with kids! The Golden Land welcomes you.
- 2018.12.08Mandalay and AroundPyin Oo Lwin in Myanmar – Most Picturesque Hill Town of Mandalay Division
- 2018.11.23Myanmar Travel BlogMeet the Moken People in Hidden Charming Mergui Islands Myanmar
- 2018.11.02Myanmar Travel BlogKandawgyi Lake in Yangon Myanmar with Unique Characteristics and Karaweik Hall
- 2018.10.12Bagan and the Central PlainsHow to Cycle around Bagan Temples in Myanmar